I love to design nurseries for my new babies! This nursery design was no exception. Although this one came with some added challenges. The first challenge was that we had to play ring-around-the-Rosie with all 3 kids rooms before the baby arrived. This meant that I had to re-do 3 rooms instead of just a nursery.
This little guy was also our rainbow baby (this means baby after a miscarriage). This came with some added stress. During my last pregnancy, I had the whole nursery designed and many of the items needed for the nursery purchased before we lost our baby at 17 weeks. Having those items in our home was hard and a constant reminder of what we had lost. So I didn’t want to buy anything for this new baby until things felt safe.
The bad news is, things never felt safe until little Luka was in my arms. The good news is that my husband ended up pressing me to just get the nursery started towards the end of my 2nd trimester. I needed that push and I’m glad he pushed me!
Since little Luka is our rainbow baby I wanted him to have a rainbow themed nursery. However, I didn’t want traditional rainbow colors as I thought that would be a little too girly. So I went an nontraditional route and did a green rainbow themed nursery.
I started my nursery design off with a mood board. This is what I used to visualize my design. The board includes the color pallet that I liked, key furniture pieces (recycled from my older son’s nursery), and some fun decor items that I wanted to make/use.
What was an adorable purple watercolor nursery (big thanks to my husband for all his handy painting work!) was transformed into this green rainbow nursery. Welcome to baby Luka’s nursery…
This nursery was a labor of love. It’s the last nursery I’ll get to design as our family is complete, but I’m okay with that. After this nursery we are on to new adventures – maybe the toy room is next?
His is a list of where some of the items in the nursery came from:
- Green rainbow artwork – Etsy
- Large name wood sign – Etsy
- Rainbow quilt – Handmade with love by my Aunt Mary Ann
- Door name tag – Etsy
- Wood Rainbow on bookcase (I painted it)
- Nursery furniture (discontinued) – #MyRoom SmartStuff Convertible crib, dresser/changing table, and bookcase
- Nursery rocker (I’ve used this same one for all 3 kids and I just love it) – Wingback Convertible Rocker by Pottery Barn Kids
- Rainbow hanging on bookcase – blank from Target painted by me
- Tassel garland around window – made by me
- Green stackable storage containers – using these for baby toys right now
- Green canvas storage containers – using these for burp cloths right now
- Wood floating shelves – Target
- Green wood rainbow – My Toy Wagon
- Sheets and changing pad cover – Amazon
- Large floor lamp – Ikea
- Green knotted gown outfit – Amazon