If I let my husband pick out what he wants for dinner he will without a doubt choose this red potato and andouille sausage hash topped with a poached egg. The name of the dish sounds long and daunting, but really the recipe isn’t very complicated. The hardest part is poaching an egg. However I’ve included a YouTube video to help you overcome that hurdle. This meal will surely help you feel better after a bad day. Here is what you will need (note there are a few things missing from the picture):
- 2 lbs of red potatoes cut into 1/2 diced cubes
- 1 large union diced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 links of andouille sausage cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (more if you would like a little extra spice)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 eggs – poached
- Chop all ingredients. I’m not a fan of chopping onions so I took the easy way out and used my every handy electric chopper to take care of that step.
- Melt the butter in skillet at a medium/high heat. Typically I use my wok since it’s bigger and I’m also less likely to make a mess. However a skillet works just fine if you don’t have a wok.
- Stir in potatoes and onions and sauté for 15 minutes. It’s important to stir often so that the potatoes don’t burn to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the onions and sausage and cook for an additional 10 minutes until the potatoes lose their crunch. This is a good time to start on the poached eggs.
- Add salt and pepper to dish and divide onto 4 plates.
- Poach 4 eggs and add one to the top of each plate. In case you have never poached an egg before, here is a video below to show you how to do that.
- Enjoy the yummy goodness! I hope you enjoyed this red potato and andouille sausage recipe. Be sure to leave a comment below and let me know how your meal turned out!
Here is how you poach an egg: